Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Gift for Jim...


My friend, Carolyn Rader, is a HUGE Marshall fan just like Jim. She has contacts, being the Mayor, past principal of Fairplain Elementary, Marshall majorette, etc., that Jim doesn't have. She enabled Jim to have lunch with Coach Bobby Pruett. I thought I would just die watching Jim and Coach discussing past games. I was so happy and excited for him that I couldn't even eat. She loves Marshall 'stuff' just like Jim. Well, on Friday, a couple guys came in to visit Carolyn. When I asked whom I could tell her was waiting to see her, they replied.. KO Marcum and Red Dawson. Now, Red Dawson doesn't really excite me, except that I have watched the "We Are Marshall" movie enough times with Jim to know who Red Dawson is. If you don't, he is the coach that did not get on the plane in the 1970 crash that killed the entire football team and coaching staff. I knew that Jim would love to have an autograph because he is planning on having his 'Marshall Room' when Molli gets married and moves out. I excitedly went to Carolyn's office and announced repeatedly that Red Dawson is waiting (while she was on the phone might I add). When she was finished with her phone call (I waited), I told her that Jim would probably kiss her on the face if she'd get him an autograph. I went back to my office to find something that he could autograph, and what came to mind first was this picture of Jim in his 'lucky' Marshall apparel. This outfit does include the green and white stripped socks, green Adidas tennis shoes that say "Go Herd" on the back, white shorts, Marshall T-shirt, and Marshall Hat. If you're even wondering if he wears this to the games.....the answer is YES! I know, how embarrassing for me. I love him, so I go along with his antics. Anyway, while I'm getting the picture, Mr. Red Dawson comes in to my office and says that Carolyn doesn't want the kiss, but he'd take one from me for a picture with him. I DID NOT kiss him, but he had Carolyn take a picture of he and I, with me wearing his Marshall hat, and KO took a picture of him, Carolyn and I with Carolyn wearing his hat. He told Carolyn to have the pictures printed in the size we wanted, to send them to him, and he would autograph them and mail them back. Jim didn't have to kiss Carolyn either, but Mr. Dawson autographed this picture with.... Jim - Nice outfit! Oh my, Jim sure doesn't need any encouragement Mr. Dawson. Anyway, huge thanks to Mr. Dawson and to Carolyn who is always thinking of others first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know i'm going to leave my stuff, KO Marcum......leave. please!



thank you(: