Monday, February 21, 2011

A Surprise Self-Photo, A Return, and A Finished Project

 Today I didn't have to go to work and Maci didn't have school because of President's Day - Yay!  I did laundry, vacuumed, dusted, changed sheets, and cleaned bathrooms along with cleaning out the fridge today.  Actually, I like to do housework.  It is so nice to go to bed, at the end of the day, and everything is clean and tidy.  Also, I like to start out the workweek with everything as it should be at the house, when I leave of a morning, and when I return in the evening. 
 Maci went bowling with some friends.  What a great day!

When I downloaded my photos this evening, for the blog, this cute face showed up.  I didn't take it, so guess who took a photo of herself........Maci!
Jim's Tundra phone (that is supposed to be as strong as steel), quit working.  Luckily it was one day before the warranty was up....how often does that happen?  He received the replacement phone and is getting ready to mail the broken phone back to AT&T.  Just wanted some pictures for proof.
 And, now for............my little project that I completed.  I got this desk as a Christmas gift when I was about 10 years old.  My Dad and Mom, along with Janice and Pete stained it in the garage at Fairplain.  I LOVED it.  That same year, I got a typewriter for Christmas.  I did alot of typing at this desk.  I purchased calendar desk pads each year for the desk.  I have always loved stationary and office supplies.  I even have a thank-you note that I had typed for the neighbors, for mine and Fred's Christmas gifts from them that year.  When they passed away, their children gave the note back to Dad and Mom.  Anyway, this desk (stained) has been used at every house we have lived in.  Jim and I used it in our first home as a desk for paying bills, etc.  When we got our first computer (at our apartment in Ceredo in 1989 - Wow! from Dad and Mom) we sit it on this desk.  After the girls were born, each one used it at some time for a desk, a library check out desk, and then the girls used it for a make-up table when they got older.  Since Maci just got her new bedroom furniture, that included a makeup table, the desk went to storage.  I saw in a magazine where someone had used a desk for a bedside table.  I use my laptop sometimes of a night before bed, and have just been laying it on the floor beside the bed when I am finished, so the idea of using the desk for a bed side table sounded perfect.  I didn't want to use it stained the original color, so I painted it black.  I purchased a piece of glass for the top so that it wouldn't get scratched, and began the hunt for knobs.  I knew what I wanted, and just had to surf the net and visit some shops till I found these glass ones that I love.  There is even a leather basket underneath to hold my magazines and books that I'm reading (and want to read).  I love how it turned out.
(Not sure what the brown strip on the bottom drawer is....is not there in real life.)

Hope that everyone has a great week!

By standing firm you will gain life.  Luke 21:19

1 comment:

CaSandra said...

I LOVE YOUR DESK!

I'm a big fan of re-purposing things... especially things with meaning!

What a special piece in your room :)